For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use “Bob’s Red Mill 1–1 Baking Flour“)
- Dash of salt
For the Filling:
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (optional for extra tart lemon flavor)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight*
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8th teaspoon turmeric (optional for color)
- optional powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and 8 x 8″ baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine melted vegan butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add gluten free flour and salt and mix until a dough forms. You should be able to pinch the dough with your fingers without the dough sticking to your hands. Add a small amount of gluten free flour if dough is really sticky.
- Use a rubber spatula and your hands to press the dough evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the crust has started to brown slightly.
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the thick cream that has risen to the top of the can. It should be about 1 cup. Add all of the filling ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan and whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the filling thickens (about 5-10 minutes). The mixture should be very thick but still pourable.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust and bake for another 15 minutes. Let the lemon bars cool for 30 minutes at room temperature and then refrigerate for 2 hours or until the filling has set.
- Cut into bars and optionally dust with the powdered sugar.
It’s important to refrigerate the coconut milk overnight so the thick coconut cream will rise to the top of the can.
Recipe adapted from: Nora Cooks