1 lb loaf (16 oz) gluten-free and vegan bread (I use “Little Northern Bakehouse” bread)
- 2 1/3 cup vegan milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- Cut bread into 1-2 inch cubes and place in a greased 7×11 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together custard ingredients until combined.
- Pour mixture over the cubed bread, cover, and refrigerate for an hour.
- To make the topping, combine gluten free all purpose flour, coconut sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Cut butter into the topping mixture using a fork until a crumble is formed. Store in an air tight container until you are ready to bake the casserole.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle topping all over the bread.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
To make this casserole the day before, prepare the bread, custard, and topping in separate dishes. Store in the fridge overnight. When you are ready to cook, pour the custard over the cubed bread and let soak for 1 hour. Then add the crumble topping and bake according to the directions above.
Recipe adapted from WhereYouGetYourProtein.com