- 16 ounces of tofu (preferably extra-firm)
- 4 tablespoons of coconut aminos (or other gluten-free soy sauce substitute)
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- Up to 3 tablespoons of neutral-flavored oil
- First, cut the tofu into cubes and then lay it on a flat surface lined with paper towels. Cover it with another layer of paper towels and set it with something heavy (book, pan, baking sheet, etc.). Keep it like that for about 15 minutes.
- Take a clean bowl and pour the previously measured liquid ingredients into it (coconut aminos, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and sesame oil), and then add garlic and ginger.
- Take the tofu and place it in a shallow dish if possible. Pour over the marinade and leave to marinate for about an hour. If you have enough time, you can even leave it in the dish overnight, the longer the better. Take a look at this article for some more tips and tricks on how to marinate tofu.
- Choose a suitable pan, preferably cast iron. You can even use a very good non-stick pan if you want to avoid adding oil. Heat the pan to a medium-high temperature, add the tofu (don’t spill the marinade, it will come in handy later), and fry until it gets a nice golden color.
- After it’s done, feel free to pour the leftover marinade sauce into the pan with the tofu, and then stir to coat. This is the secret of this tasteful tofu marinade recipe. This part won’t take too long because the tofu seems to absorb the marinade at the speed of light. As soon as you notice it is done, remove it from the heat.
- It would be best to serve tofu with a side dish such as rice and some vegetables such as baby bok choy, mushrooms, and even carrots.
- You can store tofu in an airtight container and leave it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Accordingly, don’t hesitate to double the ingredients and make a larger amount of tofu. This way, you can have a ready-made meal that does not require additional cooking. Simply take it out of the container, heat it up, and serve it with your favorite side dish.