- 4 large bell peppers*
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa or rice (about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth*
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or this homemade recipe
- 2/3 cup of salsa
- Cook rice or quinoa in the vegetable broth according to package directions.
- While the rice/quinoa is cooking, cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Place the peppers in a large pot and cover with water. Boil for 10 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Once the peppers are soft, drain the water and rinse with cold water to cool the peppers down. Place the peppers on a towel or paper towels to dry.
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl except for the peppers and taco seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Add half of the taco seasoning mix and stir to combine.
- Taste the mixture to determine if the other half of the taco seasoning is desired (we use all of it, but that may be too much seasoning for some).
- Add the other half of the taco seasoning if desired and stir to combine.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish with the open side up.
- Stuff the peppers with a generous amount of the prepared filling.
- Bake for 40 minutes* or until the peppers are soft and enjoy!
I didn’t realize this the first time I tried them, but different colored peppers taste different! The most mild ones for us are the orange and yellow ones.
Anytime I cook quinoa or rice, I like to use low sodium vegetable broth. You can use water instead, but the vegetable broth gives the quinoa/rice such a great flavor.