Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas – Gluten Free & Dairy Free
These Chicken Fajitas are so easy to make and taste incredible! This recipe uses simple healthy ingredients and can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE Top 8 Allergy Free Dinner Recipes E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
I love love love slow cooker and Instant Pot meals. LOVE them!! One of the main reasons I love them is because of the convenience.
Being able to throw all the ingredients in a pot and let it cook during the day while you do the other million things you had to do that day is a great feeling.
The other reason I love slow cooker and Instant Pot meals is because of the amount of flavor you can achieve when the food has been slow cooking all day or pressure cooked.
You just can’t beat it!
I was so excited when I first ran across the idea of slow cooker chicken fajitas. Genius!
Mexican food is such a great candidate for the slow cooker or Instant Pot because the typical ingredients in Mexican food have amazing flavor to begin with.
Onion, peppers, lime, cilantro, the list goes on and on. Put them all together and let them cook all day and their flavors are amplified.
Mexican food is also amazing because it is usually really versatile allowing recipes to be easily modified to be allergy friendly.
I usually serve these on gluten free corn tortillas and they are delicious!
This chicken fajita mix would make delicious nachos or be great all by themselves if you are avoiding grains completely.
Do you have recipes that work great in the slow cooker or Instant Pot even though they are normally cooked differently?
I’m always looking for more slow cooker or Instant Pot meals so I can’t wait to hear about them!
I hope you love these chicken fajitas as much as my family does!
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas – Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 3 hrs
- Total Time: 3 hrs 15 min
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs diced green chilies
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and mix.
- Place tomatoes, chilies, pepper, onion, garlic, and lime in the slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Coat both sides of the chicken breasts in the seasoning mixture and place in the slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Push the chicken down into the tomato, onion, and pepper mixture until the chicken is coated.
- If cooking in a slow cooker, cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, cut it into strips or shred it.
- Serve on gluten free flour or corn tortillas, over some quinoa or rice, or just all by itself.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to to three months.
- When ready to cook, thaw overnight in refrigerator.
- Follow cooking directions above.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS GLUTEN FREE SLOW COOKER OR INSTANT POT RECIPES? CHECK OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITES BELOW!
To download your free printable Top 8 Allergy Free Dinner Recipes E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below.
Is this also soy free?
Yes, this is soy free. You should double check that the seasonings you have are also soy free.
Is the cook time still 3hrs or 20min in a instant pot?
If cooking in an Instant Pot, close the lid and make sure you are NOT venting. Select the Poultry setting which should be pre-programmed to cook for 20 minutes. I hope this helps.
We are also allergic to tomatoes would you suggest anything else to keep the wet to dry ratio?
Hi Kassandra! Instead of using the tomatoes, you could use 1/2-3/4 cup of broth or water. The broth would be the most flavorful. I hope this helps! ☺
I made the recipe for dinner tonight and it came out very watery. I was just wondering if it typically comes out like this or something went wrong?
Hi Cathleen, yes this is common. We would typically get everything out with a slotted spoon or tongs once it is done cooking. If you want to use the juices as a sauce you could also add some cornstarch as a thickener once everything is cooked.