THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS
I’m so excited to be sharing this gluten free and dairy free Salisbury Steak recipe with you all this week! It’s very easy to make and has quickly become a family favorite!
This Salisbury Steak is coated in a caramelized onion and mushroom gravy that tastes absolutely AMAZING! If I could eat it by the spoonful I would. ?
I had never had Salisbury Steak until just a few months ago. I was really struggling to figure out what to make for dinner a while back so I started searching Pinterest for meal ideas. Salisbury Steak came up towards the top of the list and sounded delicious so I had to give it a try.
It was also really easy to make gluten free and dairy free. I just substituted gluten free oats and gluten free all-purpose flour instead of breadcrumbs and wheat flour. Also, be sure to use a gluten free Worcestershire sauce. I recommend “Lea and Perrins” brand.
I wondered if this would just reminded me of a fancy hamburger, but it’s actually more like an individual serving of meatloaf. Instead of making it in a meatloaf pan, you just form patties and cook it on the stove. Super simple!
Now let’s talk more about this gravy. I could eat this gravy with every meal! It’s so wonderful on the Salisbury steak. I’ve also made it to put on chicken which was equally delicious.
I still can’t get over how easy it is to make gravy. I used to think it was rocket science, but it’s actually really simple when you have good steps to follow.
This meal is ready in about 35 minutes making it the perfect meal for any night of the week. I hope you love this gluten free and dairy free Salisbury Steak as much as my family does!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup gluten free oats
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 2 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Gravy
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium broth (vegetable or beef broth)
- 4 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour (or gluten free corn starch)
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add olive oil, mushrooms, and onions. Heat over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking, in a large bowl, combine ground beef, oats, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Divide into 4 equal sized portions and form patties.
- Place patties in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Flip every 5-6 minutes until internal temperature has reached 165°F. This usually takes 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the patties.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 4 tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour with 1 cup of broth.
- Once the steaks are done cooking, transfer them onto a plate. Drain all but 3-4 tbsp of the liquid form the pan and add 1 cup of broth.
- Once the broth has started to simmer, add the remaining broth and flour mixture, whisking continuously.
- Add 1 tsp ketchup, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tsp salt. Continue whisking until the gravy has thickened.
- Add the caramelized onions and mushrooms to the gravy. Place steaks in the gravy and spoon the gravy over them to coat.
- Serving Size: 4