- 1/3 cup oat flour (or sorghum flour)
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3–5 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut milk”)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2–3 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
For the Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk oat flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Add apple cider vinegar and cold water and mix until a dough is formed.
- Place the dough onto a floured piece of parchment paper (I use more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a circle about 1/4″ thick. Flour the top of the dough as needed to avoid sticking.
- Using a 3″ round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut circles in the pie dough.
- Place circles in a greased mini muffin tin. Gently press the circles into the muffin tin and use your fingers to round the edges into a mini pie crust.
- Continue steps 5-7 until all dough is used and you have 16-20 mini pie crusts.
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Spoon the filling into each mini pie crust. Fill them almost to the top of the crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are firm and starting to brown.
- Let the pumpkin pie bites cool on a cooling rack or place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Optionally, top with dairy free whip cream (I use “So Delicious Coco Whip”) and sprinkle with cinnamon.
I do not advise using this filling for a regular pumpkin pie. Traditional pumpkin pie uses eggs to create a firm pie that can be sliced. Since these are individual pie cups and don’t need sliced, it works perfect for this recipe.
Pie crust recipe adapted from Allergy Free Alaska