Is it just me or does gravy seem to make everything taste even better? This mushroom gravy adds so much delicious flavor to any meal.
I’m from the Midwest and growing up, we would have gravy on a lot of different meals. Turkey of course, mashed potatoes, biscuits, chicken, ham, the list goes on and on. Even before food allergies I seemed to always struggle anytime I tried to make my own gravy.
No matter how hard I would try it would always be lumpy. Every single time! So I decided to just leave it to the pro (grandma) or make the packet gravy that you can buy at the store.
Now that I have a family and a bucket full of food allergies, I decided it was time to not only conquer lump free gravy, but figure out a way to make it allergy friendly too.
Thank goodness for my dairy substitutes. The vegan butter from “Earth Balance” is so delicious that I would never have guessed it was vegan and the unsweetened coconut milk I use from “So Delicious” is also always reliable. So I knew I would have a pretty good start for gravy.
Originally, I wanted to come up with gravy for biscuits. I had just come up with a gluten free and vegan biscuit recipe that was magical and knew that I needed to figure out a gravy so that I could once again enjoy the awesomeness that is biscuits and gravy.
I also wanted this gravy to be vegan so I decided to make a mushroom gravy instead of the more traditional sausage gravy. You could very easily use sausage instead of mushrooms in this recipe if you want though.
I used a simple brown rice flour as the thickener for this mushroom gravy and added some paprika, salt, and pepper to kick up the flavor even more.
I could not believe how amazing this gravy tasted and best of all, there were NO LUMPS! I’m pretty sure the brown rice flour was the trick. I use it as a thickener in all kinds of recipes now and never seem to have lumps.
What are some of you favorite recipes that are even better with gravy? You will definitely see this mushroom gravy featured on more posts coming soon.
It’s opened up the door for all kinds of new recipes and I can’t wait for you to try it!Print
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks”)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt (I use “Lite Salt”)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Serving Size: 4