Mexican Beans and Rice – Gluten Free & Vegan
This super easy and healthy Mexican Beans and Rice dish comes together so quickly! It is gluten free, vegan, and bursting with flavor!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE Top 8 Allergy Free Dinner Recipes E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe for gluten free and vegan Mexican Beans and Rice with you all today!
Mexican food is definitely my go to when I need a quick weeknight dinner the whole family will enjoy. You can pack so much flavor into a Mexican dish and they are always so versatile which is great if you have picky eaters!
Of course I also love that they are some of the easiest meals to make gluten free and dairy free.
Before I had my food allergies, Mexican Beans and Rice and chicken quesadillas were what I ordered every time I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant.
During my first pregnancy that was pretty much what I lived on. That and I couldn’t get enough of Sonic and Arby’s food (super healthy I know ?).
Of course since non of those things have been an option this time around because of my food allergies, I’ve craved them constantly.
So I knew it was about time I figured out how to make some of those things myself at home. First on the list, Mexican beans and rice.
EASY MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- Cooked rice: I usually buy packs of cooked rice to make this recipe even quicker. You can cook the rice at home as well.
- Onion: I like to use red onion for this dish, but you can use any type of onion.
- Olive oil: For cooking the onion.
- Garlic: Adds even more flavor.
- Crushed tomatoes: Adds freshness to the dish.
- Black beans: This is our main protein source for this dish and pairs wonderfully with all of the Mexican flavors.
- Limes: Citrus really makes the dish pop! Lemons would also work if you don’t have any limes on hand.
- Vegan butter: I use “Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks”.
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, chili powder.
- Cilantro: I LOVE cilantro, I think it brings such an amazing flavor to this dish!
I couldn’t believe how easy this recipe came together and I almost always have the ingredients needed on hand. All you need is some cooked rice, black beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes, limes, a little vegan butter, and seasonings.
Super easy and super healthy. Talk about a pregnancy craving being satisfied!
So let’s get cooking!
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN RICE AND BEANS:
- Saute: Saute onion in olive oil until soft (8-10 minutes). Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Mix in other ingredients: Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, to the pot and stir to combine.
- Heat it up: Cook on medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Add Cilantro: Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.
Super simple right!?
What are some of your favorite Mexican dishes that you have made allergy friendly?
This Mexican rice and beans recipe is definitely at the top of my list! I can’t wait to hear about your favorites and hope your family loves this recipe as much as mine does!
Don’t forget the Mexican appetizers!
Don’t forget to leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try!Print
Mexican Beans and Rice – Gluten Free & Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 8.5 oz packs of cooked rice (about 4 cups cooked)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft (8-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cook on medium heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and serve.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN DINNER RECIPES? CHECK OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITES BELOW!
To download your free printable Top 8 Allergy Free Dinner Recipes E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below.
Delicious! I made some brown rice in my rice cooker. My limes were dry (I guess cause they were old and on the fridge) so I used some lime juice in the plastic lime. I’m vegan and this is the tastiest bean and rice recipe I have tried. Definitely a keeper. Thanks!
Thank you so much, Mary! I’m so glad you loved this recipe! It’s one of my all time favorite vegan meals!!
Delish! I’m not a “confident” cook and was not sure if the tomatoes and beans should be drained. I went ahead and dumped them in- it was perfect!
Hi Arlene! The beans typically do need drained and rinsed (not the tomatoes). I’ve updated the recipe to reflect that. I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe!
This has become a staple in our Family. Thank you for sharing your recipe. We love it!
I’m so happy to hear this! You are very welcome! ☺
Is this recipe a good freezer meal option?
Hi Ashley, I haven’t tried freezing this recipe, but I think it would work perfect for a freezer meal. Just defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then cook according to the recipe directions. I hope you enjoy it! ☺
Can you tell me how I can make this in the instant pot?
Hi Shawn, I would recommend sautéing the onions in the Instant Pot with the oil for 8 minutes, then add the minced garlic for another 30 seconds. Then remove the onions and garlic from the instant pot and cook the rice in the Instant Pot by itself. Add your rice and liquid (amounts needed for 4 cups of cooked rice should be listed on the back of the rice bag) to the Instant Pot. Then I select the manual option and have it cook for 22 minutes, high pressure. Then I would mix in your cooked onions/garlic and the remaining ingredients. Turn the Instant Pot off and let sit in the hot instant pot with the lid closed for 15 minutes or so for all of the flavors to incorporate. Hope this helps. ☺
Tasty, easy, and quick! My kind of recipe.
Those are my favorite types of recipes too! I’m so happy you enjoy it!