Mashed Potato Ingredients
- 3 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes into 2-3″ cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water and boil for 15-20 minutes until a fork slides through the potatoes with ease.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the gravy by adding 1/4 cup vegan butter to a small saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted, add the cornstarch and whisk to create a roux.
- Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, whisking constantly to avoid clumps.
- Add salt and pepper and lower heat for 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Whisk occasionally to avoid a film on top of the gravy.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or use a hand mixer to make them extra smooth.
- Add the remaining mashed potato ingredients to the pot and mix until well combined.
- Serve gravy over the mashed potatoes.