These gluten free & vegan Mashed Potatoes and Gravy are wonderful! The mashed potatoes are creamy and so flavorful. The gravy is the perfect topping for the mashed potatoes and it’s SO easy to make!
I cannot express how much I love mashed potatoes and gravy! Ever since I was little it’s been my all time favorite side dish.
Before food allergies, I didn’t really have a mashed potato recipe. I would just buy the pre-made mashed potatoes from the store or wait and have my grandmas at family get gatherings.
Her mashed potatoes are by far the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever eaten, but they contain pretty much every dairy ingredient ever made. Cream cheese, sour cream, milk, butter, you name it!
I knew there was no way I was going to live without mashed potatoes so I decided it was time to figure out an allergy friendly recipe.
At first I tried just mixing the potatoes with vegan butter and dairy free milk. They were good, but the flavor just wasn’t quite what I was looking for.
Then one day my mother in law made me mashed potatoes and gravy that were AMAZING! I had to know her secret.
Turns out it wasn’t much of a secret, but the magic is in the vegetable broth. It adds such a wonderful flavor that you just don’t get from using dairy free milk.
I also always add a little garlic to my mashed potatoes because who doesn’t love garlicky potatoes? Making homemade gravy always seemed like an impossible task to me.
I had often heard stories about people trying to make homemade gravy and it coming out lumpy every time. So I figured it must be super difficult to make gravy.
I was wrong! This gravy is SO easy to make!
There’s nothing to it! A little vegan butter, cornstarch, vegetable broth, and some seasoning is all you need.
You melt the butter on the stove, whisk in the cornstarch to create a roux, and add the broth and seasoning. Then let it heat for 10-15 minutes on low heat until it’s thick.
Who knew homemade gluten free and vegan mashed potatoes and gravy would be so simple and DELICIOUS?!
What are some of your favorite meals to have mashed potatoes with? Mine of course is my slow cooker pineapple glazed ham! They are amazing together!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE copy of my printable Holiday Favorites e-cookbook. It contains this recipe as well as the rest of my Holiday recipes I make every year! Just fill out the form at the bottom of the page.
I hope you enjoy this gluten free and vegan mashed potatoes and gravy recipe as much as my family does!Print
Mashed Potato Ingredients
- 3 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or gluten free all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2–1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes into 2-3″ cubes.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of water and boil for 15-20 minutes until a fork slides through the potatoes with ease.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the gravy by adding 1/4 cup vegan butter to a small saucepan.
- Once the butter is melted, add the cornstarch and whisk to create a roux.
- Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, whisking constantly to avoid clumps.
- Add salt and pepper and lower heat for 10 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. Whisk occasionally to avoid a film on top of the gravy.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or use a hand mixer to make them extra smooth.
- Add the remaining mashed potato ingredients to the pot and mix until well combined.
- Serve gravy over the mashed potatoes.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.