This gluten free and vegan mug cake for two is an absolute must any time you are craving a quick and convenient chocolate fix! The best part is that this is a healthy mug cake recipe using natural sweeteners, healthier flour options, no eggs, and no oil!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
I’m OBSESSED with these chocolate mug cakes!! I love them for so many different reasons.
If you are anything like me, there are some days where all you can think about is cake. You need it and you need it now, haha!
The only problem is that you don’t always have time to make a full cake. Not only that, you might not want to have an entire cake in the house.
My husband and I are trying to make healthier choices this year so cake hasn’t really been in our vocabulary lately.
Healthy Chocolate Mug Cakes to the rescue!!
I loved coming up with this recipe. It took a few tries to get the recipe just right, but the end result is SO delicious!
Since then, I’ve made them four more times. They might be just a little too convenient haha!
I’m so excited to have this chocolate mug cake recipe figured out just in time for Valentines day!
It was important for me to have this recipe make two mug cakes, because I wanted to be able to share with my husband.
You could very easily half the recipe if you just want to make one or double it if you need to serve more.
Whoever the wonderful person is that came up with the first microwave cake recipe seriously deserves a prize! I can’t wait to try even more flavors!
So let’s get cooking!
GLUTEN FREE VEGAN HEALTHY MUG CAKE RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- Oat flour: Helps give the cake a great texture and provides additional nutrients.
- Almond flour: Low in carbohydrates, provides protein, fiber, and lots of other nutrients.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if desired.
- Cocoa powder: To make the cake chocolaty of course!
- Dairy free milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”, but any milk should work fine.
- Maple syrup: For additional sweetness and flavor. You may also use honey or agave if you prefer.
- Vegan chocolate chips: These are optional as they are not refined sugar free. Any time I add chocolate chips, I use “Enjoy Life” brand vegan chocolate chips.
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE A MUG CAKE GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN:
- Combine Dry Ingredients: Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients: Add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips: If using, mix in chocolate chips.
- Add the batter to mugs: Pour the batter into two microwave safe mugs. Make sure you get roughly the same amount of batter in each much so they cook evenly.
- Microwave: Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 20 seconds.*
- Cool: Allow to cool about 10 minutes before eating.
- Add Toppings: Optionally top with dairy free whip cream/ice cream and strawberries.
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into two microwave safe mugs. Make sure you get roughly the same amount of batter in each much so they cook evenly.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 20 seconds.*
- Allow to cool about 10 minutes before eating.
- Optionally top with dairy free whip cream/ice cream and strawberries.
- Not all microwaves cook the same. I advise watching the cakes while they cook the first time you make them to insure they do not overcook. Check them around 2 1/2 minutes to see if they are done. The cakes will be done when no liquid remains on top of the cakes.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THE RECIPE:
Here are some items I used to make this recipe.