This Gluten Free & Vegan Green Bean Casserole tastes amazing! It’s made with homemade mushroom gravy mixed with green beans and topped with homemade onion straws!
- 3 14.5 oz cans cut green beans, drained
For the Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks”)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or brown rice flour)
- 2 cups dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the Onion Straws
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- oil for frying (I like to use olive oil, but vegetable oil will work well too)
To Make the Mushroom Gravy
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
To Make the Onion Straws
- Cut onion into thin strips (or use a spiralizer). Add gluten free flour to a large bowl. Mix in salt and pepper. Add dairy free milk to another large bowl.
- Dip onions in dairy free milk and then toss in the gluten free flour to evenly coat.
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a large pan. You will need around 1 1/2 inches of oil in the pan to cover the onions completely when frying.
- Once the oil is hot, add onions to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes until crispy. Use a large strainer spoon to remove the onions from the hot oil. Place onions on a plate with paper towels to soak up any excess oil. Continue this process until all onions are fried.
To assemble the Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together green beans and mushroom gravy and pour into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until heated through.
- Right before serving, top with onion straws.