These vegan and gluten free Graham Crackers taste amazing! They are super easy to make and taste even better than the store bought graham crackers!
I’ve loved graham crackers since I was little. I mean, what kid doesn’t love to have graham crackers for a snack?
I of course had a few different delicious ways to eat graham crackers back in the day.
My favorite was to put a bunch of graham crackers on a plate, top them with mini marshmallows, and some chocolate and microwave for 15 seconds. S’mores nachos anyone?
Another favorite was to spread peanut butter on them, top with sliced bananas, and drizzle with honey. So good!
Did you know graham crackers are also delicious with some chocolate frosting spread on them? I sure did! ☺
None of that is super healthy, but that wasn’t a big concern for me back in the day.
Now of course, making healthy snacks is a bit more important. Especially when it comes to my kiddos.
So I wanted a way to enjoy graham crackers with my kids in a more healthy way.
I also was having a very hard time finding gluten free and dairy free graham crackers from the store that resembled anything close to an actual graham cracker.
After doing some research, I stumbled across a gluten free and vegan cinnamon sugar graham cracker recipe from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free.
It had a bunch of good reviews so I thought it would be a great place to start.
I modified it a bit to remove the refined sugar since that gives me headaches, but I could not believe how much these tasted like traditional graham crackers!!
My kids also think they are amazing! My daughter has no idea they are any different than the gluten filled store bought graham crackers which is a huge win!
Let’s talk about how to make these delicious vegan and gluten free graham crackers.
VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
To make these gluten free and vegan graham crackers you will need:
- Gluten free all-purpose flour: I typically use “Better Batter” for this recipe.
- Gluten free oat flour: If you don’t have oat flour, you can make your own by blending gluten free rolled or quick cooking oats until a they are a fine flour.
- Coconut sugar: Brown sugar can also be used.
- Refined coconut oil: It’s important to use “refined” coconut oil so that the graham crackers don’t have a coconut flavor. Avocado oil will work as well.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness to the graham crackers and gives them a delicious maple flavor.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS:
- Preheat oven: 325°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients: Add flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment*. Turn on low to blend.
- Add in wet ingredients: Add melted coconut oil, water, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Continue to mix until the dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough: Transfer dough to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. If your sheet tray has raised sides like mine, you will need to just place the parchment paper on the counter for now. Top the dough with another piece of parchment paper and start to roll out the dough into a large rectangle. The dough needs to be about 1/6-inch thick (about a 12×17 rectangle).
- Cut into squares: Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the dough into 3″ squares. Using a fork, poke 2-3 sets of holes in each graham cracker.
- Bake: Transfer the parchment paper and graham crackers to the sheet tray if you haven’t already. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the graham crackers start to brown.
- Cool: Allow graham crackers to cool. Once cool, use the pizza cutter or knife to go back over the cuts to separate the graham crackers.
Who knew making homemade graham crackers would be so easy and so delicious!?
What are some of your favorite ways to eat graham crackers?
I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you love these vegan and gluten free graham crackers as much as my family does!
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE: