Flour Blend for the Best Results
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend already contains xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 – 1 cup dairy free unsweetened milk of choice* (I use So-Delicious unsweetened coconut milk)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted (avocado oil works as well)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and cinnamon).
- Add liquid ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth (maple syrup, milk, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla extract).
- Heat greased griddle over medium heat or around 250-300 degrees.
- Pour batter on the griddle, about 1/4 cup for each pancake. The batter will be thicker than normal pancake batter. I find it easiest to use a spoon to spread the batter into a pancake shape.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until you start to see tiny bubbles in the batter.
- Flip the pancakes and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side until the pancakes are lightly browned.
- *I have tried this recipe with Better Batter, Bobs Red Mill 1-1 All Purpose Flour, and Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. Each give a different result, but the absolute BEST result is using the flour mixture provided in the recipe. I also use this flour mixture for cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, and bread sticks. I promise you it is magic and can be used in so many other recipes.
- *Your milk choice might change the fluffiness of this pancake. I use So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk and that usually makes the batter thicken up quite a bit. I suggest adding milk 1/3 cup at a time until the desired thickness is reached. Usually 2/3 cup is perfect for my desired thickness.