Chocolate Sauce Mixture
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
Flax Egg Mixture
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed meal*
- 3 tbsp warm water*
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1/3 cup finely ground gluten free oat flour*
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts or vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine flax meal and water and set to the side to thicken.
- Melt coconut oil in a another small bowl and add the rest of the chocolate sauce mixture ingredients and stir until no clumps remain.
- In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients (except optional nuts/chocolate chips) and whisk well.
- Once the flax mixture has thickened, add coconut sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Add chocolate sauce mixture to the flax, coconut sugar, and vanilla mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and add 1 tbsp of water.
- Stir until the batter is smooth. Optionally fold in chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour into an 8 x 8 greased pan and bake for 23-25 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool before serving.
You can use 1 egg instead of the flaxseed meal and water if you do not have an allergy to eggs.
If you don’t have oat flour, you can blend up gluten free rolled or quick cooking oats in a blender into a fine flour.