I LOVE French toast! It’s been a favorite of mine since I was little. So imagine how excited I was when I first came across the idea of French Toast Casserole!
I was already well into being gluten free and dairy free when I saw a French Toast Casserole recipe and figured it would be a pretty easy one to convert to gluten free and dairy free.
For the gluten free bread, you will want to use a more dense bread like “Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White”. If the bread is really soft, it will likely get mushy in this recipe.
I was also able to easily substitute the brown sugar with coconut sugar, the butter with vegan butter, and the milk with dairy free milk.
I was feeling pretty confident the first time I put this in the oven. After about 15 minutes of baking, my whole house smelled like a French toast wonderland.
I could not wait to dig in!
I was so excited after I took that first bite that I’m pretty sure I did a little dance in my kitchen.
It was so delicious and didn’t taste like I had to make any allergy friendly substitutes at all. The topping was crispy and sweet and the inside was soft and fluffy.
I’ve made this recipe so many times since going gluten free and dairy free and have served it to a ton of gluten lovers who wouldn’t have known it was any different. They love it just as much as I do!
Of course since I first stumbled across this amazing idea, I’ve been told I have an egg sensitivity. ? How do you make French toast without eggs?!!
Well I’m determined to figure it out and will post a recipe for that sometime soon. In the mean time, I save this recipe for very special occasions (like the holidays) and indulge.
I know a lot of you don’t have egg restrictions so I wanted to share this recipe so you all didn’t miss out! For those of you that do, I promise I will come up with a delicious egg free French toast Casserole. I love a good challenge!
What are some of your favorite French toast toppings? Mine are fresh strawberries with some maple syrup.
I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you all love this French Toast Casserole recipe as much as my family does!
- 1 1/2 loafs gluten free bread* (I use “Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White“)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- Cut bread into 1-2 inch cubes and place in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon until combined.
- Pour mixture over the cubed bread, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine gluten free all purpose flour, coconut sugar, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Cut in butter until a crumble is formed. Store in an air tight container until you are ready to bake the casserole.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle topping all over the bread.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until top is crispy and the eggs are set.
- I recommend using a more dense bread for this recipe like “Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White”. Udi’s bread is no longer recommended for this type of dish since they’ve changed their bread texture so much. It would likely been too mushy.