Enchilada Sauce – Gluten Free & Vegan
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. PLEASE SEE OUR FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS
I cannot express enough how much I LOVE this enchilada sauce! I was also shocked to find out how easy it is to make enchilada sauce.
I always just assumed it was this super complex process with a bunch of crazy ingredients. In order to get a ton of flavor, you have to use a ton of ingredients, right?
Well that is not the case with enchilada sauce! Olive oil, flour (gluten free in my case), seasonings, vegetable broth, and that’s it. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Now, the key to a delicious enchilada sauce is the seasoning. That is where all that complex flavor is coming from. This enchilada sauce recipe comes originated from gimmesomeoven.com.
If you haven’t checked out that blog yet you absolutely should! I have a few recipes that were adapted from recipes on that blog.
Really the only difference between that recipe and this one is that I make a homemade chili powder mix and use gluten free brown rice flour.
The reason I make my own chili powder is because you have a lot more control over the flavor. For instance I love cumin so I am always adding more cumin than what the original recipe calls for.
Most pre-mixed brands you get from the store have a significant amount of salt in them which causes me to get migraines so I really have to limit it.
Of course you don’t have to make the homemade chili powder if you don’t have issues with excess salt. Just use your favorite brand!
What are some of your favorite ways to use enchilada sauce? I use this sauce for so many recipes. Enchiladas, enchilada casserole, enchilada soup, and black bean enchilada bake, just to name a few.
Did I mention I love enchilada sauce? I hope you love this enchilada sauce recipe as much as I do!Print
Enchilada Sauce – Gluten Free
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour (I use gluten free brown rice flour)
- 4 tbsp chili powder (homemade chili powder recipe below)*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Homemade Chili Powder Recipe (bulk)
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add flour and whisk together for one minute.
- Add in the remaining seasoning and slowly pour in the vegetable broth whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the enchilada sauce has thickened.
- Use in your favorite enchilada recipe or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Be sure you know how spicy your chili powder is if you do not use the homemade recipe provided. I used a new chili powder I got from the store a while back and didn’t realize how spicy it was. The chili powder recipe provided is very mild.
Thank you for this!!!
You are very welcome! ☺
Can this be frozen?
Hi Izzy, yes you can freeze this sauce. Just let it thaw out in the refrigerator overnight when you are ready to use it.