As I’m sure you all have probably guessed from my other posts, I LOVE enchilada sauce. I used to only get the canned enchilada sauce because I was certain that it was super difficult to make.
Really all sauces and gravies seemed that way to me. In order to get that much amazing flavor in a sauce it has to have super complex ingredients right?
Wrong! It turns out enchilada sauce is very very easy to make. The seasonings in the sauce are really what give it the complex flavor we all know and love.
So of course when I realized how easy the sauce was to make I had to come up with all kinds of recipes to feature it. That’s when I came across the idea of enchilada casserole.
What a great idea! Enchiladas sometimes felt a little daunting to me. It’s really not a lot of work, but for some reason making a bunch of enchiladas seemed like a big task to me.
So how awesome is it to be able to throw all the ingredients in a Casserole and have the same amazing taste you get from regular enchiladas?!
Another reason why I love this recipe is because it is so versatile! You can make this with flour tortillas, corn tortillas, and add all of your favorite toppings as you please.
This recipe is a black bean enchilada casserole so it is very simple, but the idea is that you can customize this recipe to your families liking.
For instance, my husband doesn’t love corn so I only put corn on half for my daughter and me. Since my husband doesn’t have dairy allergies, he tops his with cheese and sour cream.
I’ve also added sautéed peppers to this recipe before and they added a delicious and unique flavor of their own. The possibilities really are endless!
Do you all have any unique recipes you use enchilada sauce in? You know I’m always looking for another excuse to eat enchilada sauce so I would love to hear about them!
I would also love to hear about your families favorite toppings for this enchilada casserole. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do!Print
- 6–8 gluten free flour or corn tortillas
- 1 15 oz can enchilada sauce or homemade recipe listed below
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can corn or any other vegetables you like to eat in enchiladas
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour (I use gluten free brown rice flour)
- 4 tbsp chili powder (homemade chili powder recipe below)*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Homemade Chili Powder Recipe (bulk)
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
Homemade Enchilada Sauce Directions
- Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add flour and whisk together for one minute.
- Whisk in the remaining seasoning and slowly pour in the vegetable broth whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the enchilada sauce has thickened.
Enchilada Casserole Directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Put a layer of tortillas down, top with black beans and veggies, and pour a layer of enchilada sauce on top.
- Continue layering until you’ve used all ingredients. Usually 2-3 layers.
- Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes until heated through.
- Be sure you know how spicy your chili powder is if you do not use the homemade recipe provided. I used a new chili powder I got from the store a while back and didn’t realize how spicy it was. The chili powder recipe provided is very mild.
- Serving Size: 6