For the Cookies:
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or substitute (I use “Swerve” brand sweetener)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup Gluten free all purpose flour ( I use “Better Batter“)
- Dash of salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar or substitute ( I use “Swerve” brand sweetener)
- 2–2.5 tbsp. dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter until creamy. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add the flour and salt to the mixer and mix until a dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough in a piece of plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap the dough and transfer it to a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough to the desired thickness. These cookies do not spread or rise so however thick you roll out the dough is how thick the cookies will be. I typically roll mine out to about 1/2″.*
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut the dough into the desired shapes. Place the cookies on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- To make the frosting, combine the powdered sugar, 2 tbsp of milk, and vanilla in a wide bowl (so you have room to dip the cookies*) and stir to combine. Add the food coloring and mix until the icing is a solid color. Add more milk a tsp at a time until you have reached your desired frosting consistency.
- If you are dipping the cookies into the frosting, place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet tray and set a cooling wrack on top of it (to catch excess frosting that drips off). Dip the cookies into the frosting and set on the cooling wrack. Otherwise, pipe the frosting onto the cookies. I like to use these squeeze bottles to pipe on frosting.
- Optionally add sprinkles while the frosting is still wet.