Roasted Tomato Soup – Gluten Free, Vegan
This gluten free and vegan Roasted Tomato Soup is WONDERFUL! There is so much flavor packed in each bowl. It’s creamy, warm, and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
There is nothing quite like a big bowl of warm and creamy roasted tomato soup.
It’s the perfect soup to have when you are feeling under the weather or when it starts to get cold outside.
This year I had a couple of surprise tomato plants sprout up in my garden bed from last years tomato seeds.
I had no intention of having tomato plants this year because I just had a baby and knew I wouldn’t be able to tend to them.
Well my plants from last year had a different idea and decided to grow anyways.
So after about a month of being inside with the baby I finally ventured outside for a bit and noticed the big ole tomato plants in my back yard.
These tomato plants went CRAZY! After begging family members to come pick tomatoes and take them home I decided I would go out and pick some myself.
The easiest way to use up a ton of tomatoes is to make homemade roasted tomato soup.
All you do is clean the tomatoes, cut them in half, and put them on a sheet tray with some onions, garlic, and seasoning.
When they roast in the oven the whole house smells like an Italian dream. It’s wonderful!!
I’ve been making this creamy roasted tomato soup for years and it’s always so delicious.
Each bowl is packed with an incredible amount of flavor.
I also love to toast up some gluten free bread with vegan butter and garlic powder to dip in the soup. It’s SO good!!
So let’s talk about what you need to make this roasted tomato soup recipe!
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are traditionally used for tomato soup, but you can use any kind of tomato you have available.
- Olive oil
- Dairy free milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”
- Maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED TOMATO SOUP:
- Preheat oven: 400°F.
- Prepare Tomatoes: Place tomatoes, onion, and minced garlic on a rimmed sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Season: Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano evenly over the tomatoes and stir to coat.
- Roast: Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the tomatoes are starting to brown.
- Blend: Place the tomatoes and onions in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in Milk and Syrup: Add dairy free milk and maple syrup to the blender, and blend to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Strain: Optionally pour the soup through a fine strainer to remove any excess tomato seeds or skin from the soup.
That’s all there is to it!
What are some of your favorite ways to use tomatoes?
I can’t wait to hear about them and hope you enjoy this Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup as much as my family does!
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup – Gluten Free & Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 min
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
- 3 lbs tomatoes*, cut in half
- 1/2 onion, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 2/3 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tomatoes, onion, and minced garlic on a rimmed sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano evenly over the tomatoes and stir to coat.
- Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the tomatoes are starting to brown.
- Place the tomatoes and onions in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add dairy free milk and maple syrup to the blender, and blend to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Optionally pour the soup through a fine strainer to remove any excess tomato seeds or skin from the soup.
Roma tomatoes are traditionally used for tomato soup, but you can use any kind of tomato you have available.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS GLUTEN FREE SOUP RECIPES? CHECK OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITES BELOW!
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below.
Very good and yes, house smelled wonderful. I roast and freeze sometimes. Added chopped bacon and drizzle of basalmic when serving
I’m so glad you liked it! Bacon and balsamic sound like amazing additions to this recipe! Thank you for sharing.
Tomato soup is my very favorite. After trying many different recipes and not being thrilled about any of them, I have finally found THE ONE! I have made this recipe multiple times and I am never disappointed. My house smells like an Italian bistro. I do not strain the soup out of sheer
Aziness, and I have not added maple syrup because I keep forgetting to get any when I go shopping. And it is still so wonderful. It stands beautifully on its own and also pairs well with just about anything. I especially enjoy it with popcorn. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have found the tomato soup of my dreams!
This comment makes me so happy! ☺ I’m so glad you love this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing these kind words!