For the Shortbread Cookies:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or substitute (I use “Swerve” brand sweetener)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/8 cup gluten free all purpose flour ( I use “Better Batter“)
- Dash of salt
For the Caramel Layer:
- 1 3.5 oz bag Cocomels Coconut Milk Caramels
- 1/2 tbsp dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use “Enjoy Life” brand)
- 1/2 tsp refined coconut oil, melted (avocado will work as well)
To Make the Shortbread Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the vegan butter until creamy. Add in the maple syrup, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add the flour and salt to the mixer and mix until a dough is formed.
- Transfer dough to a piece of parchment paper. Press the dough down slightly with your hands and then place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. Roll the dough into a circle 1/4″-1/2″ thick. Use a 3 inch circle cookie cutter or glass to cut out round cookies. Repeat this step until all of the dough has been used and you have 10-12 cookies.
- Transfer parchment paper with cookies to a sheet tray and use a fork to poke 3 sets of holes into the cookies to avoid bubbling.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Cookies should be fairly firm and the edges should be slightly golden brown.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and then place the cooling rack on the cookie sheet covered in parchment paper to prepare for covering in caramel.
To Make the Caramel Layer:
- Unwrap caramels and place them in a microwave safe bowl with 1/2 tbsp of dairy free milk.
- Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring between each time, until the caramels are completely melted.
- Let the caramel sit and cool for about 3 minutes. The caramel needs to be thick enough to spoon onto the cookies without it running off. Don’t wait too long or the caramel will be too hard to spread.
- Spoon the caramel mixture evenly over each cookie. Refrigerate 5-10 minutes or until caramel is solid.
To Make the Chocolate Layer:
- While the caramel layer is setting up, melt the vegan chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time. Stir in between each interval until melted.
- Remove the cookies from the refrigerator and spoon the chocolate evenly over the top of the cookies.
- Return the cookies to the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes or until the chocolate layer is firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.