Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles – Gluten Free & Vegan
This cookie dough recipe makes decadent and rich chocolate chip cookie dough that you won’t believe it’s also gluten free and vegan! It can be made into cookie dough truffles, cookie dough bites, or just eaten by the spoonful.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Dessert Recipes E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
So you know you’re pregnant when…you can’t stop thinking about cookies! In all forms and flavors.
Chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate cookies, cookie cake, cookie dough, the list goes on and on. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I NEEDED chocolate chip cookie dough or I wasn’t going to survive.
One of the big questions I had was:
CAN YOU EAT RAW COOKIE DOUGH?
The answer is YES! Woo hoo! As long as the cookie dough doesn’t contain eggs or other ingredients that have a risk for E. coli.
This is why you will see that we bake the raw flour for 5 minutes before we use it. This is because flour can also contain bacteria that could make you sick.
So this cookie dough is perfectly safe!
I started doing some research to see what all was involved in making edible cookie dough. It turns out that it is super simple to make cookie dough that you can eat without baking.
Most recipes called for flour, butter, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips. To make that work for all of my food allergies I knew I was going to have to use substitutes for almost every ingredient.
The great news is that I already have awesome substitutes for all of those things that I knew would work perfect!
For the butter, I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Butter Sticks”, for sugar I use coconut sugar, and chocolate chips I use “Enjoy Life Vegan semi-sweet mini Chocolate Chips”.
For the flour, I didn’t want to just use an all purpose gluten free flour.
You absolutely can if that is what you want to use, but I wanted to see if I could make the cookie dough a little bit more nutritious by using oat flour and almond flour.
The substitutes worked out perfectly!
This cookie dough is so decadent and rich that I couldn’t believe it was also gluten free, vegan, and mostly refined sugar free.
The first time I made this cookie dough, I just kept it in a container in the fridge and ate out of it with a spoon when I wanted some.
The second time I made it, I used a cookie scoop to form bite sized cookie dough portions. Thinking of course that doing that would keep me from eating it all at once (yeah right!).
The third time, I decided I wanted even more chocolate (because I’m super pregnant haha) and coated them in chocolate to make them into chocolate chip cookie dough truffles.
This cookie dough is amazing all three ways!
So let’s get cooking!
COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES INGREDIENTS:
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Gluten free oat flour: If you don’t have oat flour on hand, you can add gluten free oats to a food processor or blender and blend until the oats are a flour consistency.
- Almond flour: I love using almond flour to get additional nutrients. If you cannot have nuts, just use a gluten free all purpose flour or more oat flour in its place.
- Vegan butter: I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”. You can also use regular butter if you don’t have a dairy allergy.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if desired.
- Vegan chocolate chips: I use “Enjoy Life Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips. You can use regular chocolate chips if you don’t have a dairy allergy.
- Additional vegan chocolate chips: You need additional chocolate if you decide to coat the cookie dough balls.
- Coconut oil: This makes the chocolate extra smooth for coating the cookie dough balls. If you have a nut allergy, just leave the coconut oil out. You can still coat the cookie dough balls in chocolate without it.
HOW TO MAKE COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES:
To make these cookie dough truffles:
- Preheat your oven: 350°F.
- Bake the flour: Spread almond flour and oat flour evenly on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes.
- Mix together flour and salt: In a medium sized bowl, add almond flour, oat flour, salt and whisk well.
- Mix together butter, sugar, vanilla: In a small bowl, add melted butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and stir to combine.
- Combine ingredients: Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Fold in chocolate chips: Add vegan chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Scoop: Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture and use your hands to roll into balls. Place cookie dough balls onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Make the chocolate: Optionally add 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until the chocolate chips are melted.
- Coat in Chocolate: Remove the cookie dough balls from the freezer and roll in the chocolate until evenly coated. Place back onto the parchment paper and put in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
HOW TO STORE EDIBLE COOKIE DOUGH:
- Store edible cookie dough/truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
FREEZING COOKIE DOUGH:
- Put the cookie dough bites/truffles on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer for 1 hour. This prevents them from sticking together while they freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and place in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Do any of you have any crazy cravings like I did for this cookie dough? You don’t have to be pregnant to have irrational food cravings haha!
I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you all love these cookie dough truffles as much as I do!!
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles – Gluten Free & Vegan
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: 9 1x
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use “Enjoy Life Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips”)
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips for coating (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread almond flour and oat flour evenly on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, add almond flour, oat flour, salt and whisk well.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter, coconut sugar, vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Fold in 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the mixture and use your hands to roll into balls. Place cookie dough balls onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
- Optionally add 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until the chocolate chips are melted.
- Remove the cookie dough balls from the freezer and roll in the chocolate until evenly coated. Place back onto the parchment paper and put in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- If you can’t have oat flour or almond flour, you can use an all purpose gluten free flour instead.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
Looking for more delicious gluten free and dairy free dessert recipes? Check out some of my favorites below!
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Dessert Recipes E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below.