This gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free Chocolate Banana Bread is absolutely delicious! It has a traditional banana bread texture and flavor with the wonderful addition of chocolate!
Banana bread has been one of my favorite treats since I was little. There is something just so wonderful about the texture and sweet flavor of banana bread!
Banana bread was one of the first recipes I knew I wanted to figure out how to make when I had to go gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and refined sugar free.
Lucky for me, I found a delicious recipe from Minimalist Baker that I would only have to modify a bit to meet my needs.
It is amazing! Here is my modified recipe for regular banana bread if you want to take a look.
Recently I had been seeing a bunch of recipes for chocolate banana bread and thought it sounded delicious!
I knew I could take the original banana bread recipe and modify it just a bit to make a chocolate version.
It worked perfectly! It’s the same traditional banana bread flavor with the addition of chocolate!
You could also add dairy free chocolate chips to this recipe to make it even more chocolaty!
So let’s talk about how you make it!
VEGAN GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS:
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Ripe bananas: The more ripe your bananas are, the sweeter they will be.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Used as a substitute for eggs and oil in traditional banana bread.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if desired.
- Maple syrup: For additional sweetness and flavor. You may also use honey or agave if you prefer.
- Unsweetened milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”.
- Cocoa Powder: To make the banana bread chocolaty.
- Almond meal: Almond meal and almond flour are the same thing. Just make sure that it is fine ground.
- Gluten free flour blend: I use “Better Batter”, but “Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 all-purpose flour” would work great too. I haven’t tested other flours in this recipe.
- Gluten free oats: Oats provide additional nutrients and help with the overall texture of the bread.
- Chopped nuts or vegan chocolate chips: These are optional add in’s that provide even more flavor to this delicious banana bread.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Baking powder
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE DAIRY FREE BANANA BREAD:
To make this banana bread:
- Preheat your oven: 350°F.
- Combine everything except the cocoa, flours and oats: In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add all of the ingredients through milk and whisk together thoroughly.
- Mix in the cocoa, flour and oats: Add cocoa powder, almond meal, gluten free flour, and gluten free oats to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add any extras: Optionally fold in chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
- Bake it: Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan. After baking for 55 min, check the banana bread to see if additional time is needed. The bread will be done when it is firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool: Allow the bread to cool completely before cutting into slices.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try!Print
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE: