These gluten free and dairy free chicken and biscuits are the ULTIMATE comfort food! The biscuits are flaky, “buttery”, soft, and the chicken filling tastes so amazing!
Don’t forget to grab your FREE gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook at the bottom of the post!
For the Biscuits:
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Chicken Filling:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed*
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (I use “Better Batter”)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the biscuits, mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all of the biscuit dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flour for this recipe.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour. Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- While the biscuits are baking start the chicken filling, in a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add the carrots, celery, onion and sauté until tender (about 8 minutes).
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium sized bowl, combine gluten free all-purpose flour, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, low sodium broth, dairy free milk, and whisk until no flour lumps remain.
- Add minced garlic to the skillet and continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the flour and liquid mixture to the skillet, lower temperature to medium-low heat, and whisk until filling begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add in shredded or cubed chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve over biscuits.
To download your free printable gluten free and dairy free Fall Favorites E-Cookbook, please fill out the form below.