This is going to sound silly, but I could have cried when I finally figured out this biscuit recipe! Let me explain. Biscuits and gravy were one of my favorite meals before I developed food allergies. I could have eaten them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
When I first made the switch to gluten free, I tried biscuit recipe after biscuit recipe, each with a different failed result (gummy or hockey pucks every time!!). So I decided biscuits probably just weren’t going to happen and I got over it (not really!).
A few years ago, we went to Portland to visit family and I was really nervous about what I would eat while we were there. It was the first long trip we had taken since I went gluten and dairy free. Turns out, Portland is an AWESOME place to visit if you have allergies.
We found an amazing bakery down there called Petunia’s Pies & Pastries and they had biscuits and gravy!! Not only did they have biscuits and gravy, but they had cakes, cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls and they were all gluten free and vegan! Needless to say, we took piles of baked goods back to the hotel to enjoy.
So when we got home I was determined to find a recipe that would work since I knew it was possible. So after a ton of research I found a recipe I thought was worth a try. It wasn’t vegan, but I had vegan substitutes that I had learned from other recipes (tip: the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar are what replace buttermilk).
So I made them, and they were pretty good! I was so excited and knew exactly what I wanted to adjust the next time I made them to make them even better.
The magic is in the flour blend!!
This is the flour blend I use for cinnamon rolls, pancakes, waffles, and pizza so I wanted to give it a try for biscuits. They turned out PERFECT! I could not ask for anything more from a biscuit.
They have a slight crisp on the outside and are soft and pillowy on the inside. They remind me of the southern buttermilk biscuits I used to eat before food allergies.
What are some of your favorite recipes to have biscuits in? I can’t wait to hear about it and hope you enjoy these biscuits as much as my family does!Print
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the cubed butter in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flour for this recipe.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.