Biscuit Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Biscuit Wet Ingredients
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Sausage Gravy:
- 1 lb gluten free and dairy free ground sausage*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery sticks”)
- 1/3 cup all purpose gluten free flour or brown rice flour (I use “Better Batter“)
- 3 cups dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
To Make the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the cubed butter in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flour for this recipe.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
To Make the Sausage Gravy:
- While the biscuits are baking, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground sausage to the pan and saute for about 8 minutes or until the sausage is cooked all the way through.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Pour in the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over warm biscuits.
I recommend using raw ground sausage for this recipe to give the gravy the most flavor. If you can only find raw sausage links, cut open the casing and break it up in the pan to resemble ground sausage.