Biscuit Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup (140g) brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) millet flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Biscuit Wet Ingredients
- 6 tbsp vegan butter, cubed (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery Sticks”)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk of choice (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I use “Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Buttery sticks”)
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
To Make the Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put the cubed butter in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set to the side.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined. I recommend weighing the flour for the best result.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or fork. You should have pea sized balls of butter throughout the flour.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and combine using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (I use a little more brown rice flour for this) and roll into a square about 1 inch thick.
- Use a 3″ biscuit cutter or a round glass to cut out the biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
To Make the Gravy
- While the biscuits are baking, add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Lower the heat and add the butter stirring until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and whisk well to combine.
- Add the paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over warm biscuits.