These Birthday Cake Donuts are an awesome way to celebrate any occasion! They are gluten free, vegan, dairy free, and taste delicious! They are also baked donuts making them a bit healthier than traditional fried donuts.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale. Thank you for supporting JustWhatWeEat!
My daughter told me a couple months ago that she wanted to have “sprinkle donuts” on her 5th birthday.
I try to make every meal on her birthday extra special and now that she is old enough to pick them herself, she goes all out.
So of course I was going to figure out how to make her “sprinkle donuts” for her birthday.
The closest thing to that in my mind is birthday cake donuts, so I decided to come up with a new recipe for some.
Anytime I make donuts, they are typically baked cake donuts. I can’t have yeast, so cake donuts really are the only option.
That works out great because I love them and so does my family! They are also usually baked instead of fried so they are a little bit healthier than traditional donuts.
I already had a great recipe for gluten free and dairy free vanilla cake, so I thought I could just use that recipe with some sprinkles mixed in the batter.
It worked perfectly!
To make them extra fun, I decide to add some pink glaze to them with some extra special sprinkles that I found on Sweetapolita.com.
If you haven’t checked out their sprinkles yet you need to! They have an awesome gluten free and vegan selection.
My daughter LOVED her birthday cake donuts and I could tell she felt really special which is always the goal!
So let’s talk about how you make them.
GLUTEN FREE BIRTHDAY CAKE DONUT RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- All purpose gluten free flour: I use “Better Batter”. It’s top 8 allergen free too!
- Gluten free oat flour: Sorghum flour can be used if you can’t have oats.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Xanthan gum: Omit if your gluten free flour already contains xanthan gum.
- Dairy free milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”
- Maple syrup
- Avocado oil: Coconut oil works as well.
- Gluten free vegan sprinkles: I use these sprinkles from Sweetapolita.
For the Glaze:
- Powdered sugar or substitute: I use “Swerve” brand powdered sweetener.
- Dairy free milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk”.
- Pink food coloring: optional
- Additional sprinkles for topping: I use these from Sweetapolita.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE CAKE DONUTS:
- Preheat oven: to 350°F.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum (if your flour doesn’t contain it).
- Mix in Wet Ingredients: Add remaining ingredients except sprinkles to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Add Sprinkles: Fold in the sprinkles.
- Pipe Batter into Pans: Pour the batter into a piping bag, and pipe into to the donut pans.
- Bake: for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Place donuts on a cooling rack and allow the donuts to cool completely before decorating.
- Make the Glaze: Mix together powdered sugar and dairy free milk. Add food coloring and stir to combine.
- Decorate Donuts: Place the donuts and cooling rack on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Dip donuts or use a spoon to cover the donuts in glaze and place back on the cooling rack. Cover in sprinkles.
- Allow Glaze to Set: Place donuts in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until glaze has set.
♥ Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below if you give this recipe a try! ♥Print
- 1 cup Better Batter
- 1 cup
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp ten
- 1 tsp
- 1 cup
- 3/4 cup
- 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 cup gluten free vegan sprinkles (I use these sprinkles from Sweetapolita)
For the Glaze:
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- donut pans
- Place donuts on a cooling rack and allow the donuts to cool completely before decorating.
- Mix together powdered sugar and dairy free milk. Add food coloring and stir to combine.
- Place the donuts and cooling rack on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Dip donuts or use a spoon to cover the donuts in glaze and place back on the cooling rack. Cover in sprinkles.
- Place donuts in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes or until glaze has set.
© Just What We Eat. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post for the recipe.
SHOP THIS RECIPE: