For the Donuts:
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed meal*
- 6 tbsp warm water*
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour all-purpose flour (I use Better Batter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, packed (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk of choice (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (refined coconut oil works as well)
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips*)
- 1 tsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, add flax seed and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- To your flax seed mixture, add maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and avocado oil. Stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a piping bag to add the mixture to greased donut pans.
- Bake the donuts for 10 minutes.
- After a few minutes, transfer to donuts to a cooling rack.
To Make the Chocolate Topping:
- Once the donuts have cooled completely, add the chocolate chips and avocado oil to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between each time until the chocolate is melted.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper under your cooling rack. Dip each donut into the chocolate and place back on the cooling rack so the chocolate can firm up.
- To make this process go faster, you can put the donuts on a tray or plate and place them in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is firm
You can use 2 eggs instead of the flax seed meal and warm water if you do not have an issue with eggs.
This chocolate topping is not refined sugar-free.