For the Doughnuts
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed meal*
- 6 tbsp warm water*
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour all-purpose flour (I use Better Batter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, packed (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk of choice (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (refined coconut oil works as well)
For the Chocolate Glaze*
- 5 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, add flax seed and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- To your flax seed mixture, add maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a piping bag to add the mixture to the donut pans.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes.
- After a few minutes, transfer to doughnuts to a cooling rack.
To Make the Chocolate Glaze
- Combine all ingredients and stir until no clumps remain.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper under your cooling rack.
- Dip each doughnut into the chocolate glaze mixture and place back on the cooling rack so the glaze can firm up.
- To make this process go faster, you can put the doughnuts on a tray or plate and place them in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is firm
You can use 2 eggs instead of the flax seed meal and warm water if you do not have an issue with eggs.
You can also just use vegan chocolate chips for the topping if refined sugar isn’t an issue. Melt 3/4 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips with 1 tsp of avocado oil (or coconut oil). Just microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between each time until melted. Then dip the donuts in the chocolate.