Who knew making homemade donuts was so easy? These baked chocolate cake donuts are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and taste amazing! They are one of my new favorite gluten free and vegan breakfast recipes!
Yes, you read that title correctly, baked chocolate cake doughnuts that are gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and taste amazing! That’s a sentence I never thought I would say.
Before food allergies, I loved me some doughnuts (probably a little too much). Cake doughnuts were always one of my favorites.
I mean you are eating a doughnut made out of cake, how does it get better than that. So you can imagine how excited I was to come across this recipe.
There are very few recipes on this blog that I haven’t had to modify in one way or another to meet my allergy needs, but this doughnut recipe was perfect as is. Already refined sugar free and everything (which is hard to come by)!
I will say the glaze that this recipe originally called for was not refined sugar free so I went ahead and made a refined sugar free chocolate glaze which turned out amazing.
The sweetener is also modified just a little to give the doughnuts a hint of maple syrup flavor.
The other awesome thing about this recipe is that these baked chocolate cake doughnuts are super easy to make.
I’m also a kitchen gadget nerd and love the fact that I now own doughnut pans. That sounds silly, but I love being able to make these kinds of things at home.
Here are the donut pans I own if you need some inexpensive ones.
Cooking with my daughter is one of my favorite things to do so I’m excited to add these donuts to the list of recipes we get to make together.
The website that I found the doughnut recipe on is called delightfuladventures.com. I highly recommend you check out that website if you haven’t been there before.
Not everything on that website meets all of my specific allergy needs, but there are a lot of delicious looking gluten free and vegan recipes on there that you all might enjoy.
I’m so appreciative to other bloggers out there that are allergy conscious.
It really is a challenge when you are first figuring out life with food allergies so it really has been a life savor to find some of these awesome blogs.
Let’s get cooking!
GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN BAKED CHOCOLATE DONUT RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
To make this recipe, you will need:
For the Chocolate Cake Doughnuts:
- Ground flax seeds and warm water: This acts as an egg substitute. If you don’t have an egg allergy, feel free to use 2 eggs in place of the ground flax seed and water mixture.
- Gluten free flour: Anytime I make a recipe that calls for all-purpose gluten free flour, I use Better Batter.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: To make them chocolaty!
- Refined coconut oil: You can also use avocado oil in this recipe. Any neutral flavored oil should work.
- Coconut sugar: Coconut sugar is a great healthy alternative to brown sugar. You can use brown sugar in it’s place if desired.
- Maple syrup: For additional sweetness and flavor. You may also use honey or agave if you prefer.
- Unsweetened milk of choice: I use “So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk” but you can use any milk you prefer.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
For the Healthy Chocolate Glaze:
- Refined coconut oil
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DONUTS:
To make these gluten free and vegan baked chocolate cake donuts:
- Preheat your oven: 375°F.
- Mix your flax eggs: In a small bowl, add flax seed and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- Combine the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Add wet ingredients to your flax eggs: To your flax seed mixture, add maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients: Add wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pipe into donut pans: Use a piping bag to add the mixture to the doughnut pan.
- Bake: Place the donuts in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool: After a few minutes, transfer to doughnuts to a cooling rack.
To Make the Chocolate Glaze
- Mix together ingredients: Combine all ingredients and stir until no clumps remain.
- Dip the donuts: Place a sheet of parchment paper under your cooling rack. Dip each doughnut into the chocolate glaze mixture and place back on the cooling rack so the glaze can firm up.
- Refrigerate: To make this process go faster, you can put the doughnuts on a tray or plate and place them in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is firm
What are some of your favorite types of doughnuts? This is definitely at the top of my list now and I can’t wait to try other doughnuts recipes.
Now that I know of this great doughnut recipe base, I feel like the doughnut possibilities are endless.
I hope you all enjoy these baked chocolate cake doughnuts as much as my family does and I hope you get a chance to check out other recipes from delightfuladventures.com.
For the Doughnuts
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed meal*
- 6 tbsp warm water*
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour all-purpose flour (I use Better Batter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, packed (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk of choice (I use So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (refined coconut oil works as well)
For the Chocolate Glaze*
- 5 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, add flax seed and warm water and stir to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to firm up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- To your flax seed mixture, add maple syrup, milk, vanilla, and coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
- Use a piping bag to add the mixture to the donut pans.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes.
- After a few minutes, transfer to doughnuts to a cooling rack.
To Make the Chocolate Glaze
- Combine all ingredients and stir until no clumps remain.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper under your cooling rack.
- Dip each doughnut into the chocolate glaze mixture and place back on the cooling rack so the glaze can firm up.
- To make this process go faster, you can put the doughnuts on a tray or plate and place them in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is firm
You can use 2 eggs instead of the flax seed meal and warm water if you do not have an issue with eggs.
You can also just use vegan chocolate chips for the topping if refined sugar isn’t an issue. Melt 3/4 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips with 1 tsp of avocado oil (or coconut oil). Just microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between each time until melted. Then dip the donuts in the chocolate.